Skip to main content

The spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age of an E-3 worker are entitled to the same E-3 classification. E-3 dependents do not have to be Australian nationals.

E-3 spouses are may apply for work authorization, but not children.  An E-3 dependent spouse may apply for employment authorization through USCIS after arrival in the U.S. in E-3 status. Applications and instructions about how to apply for E-3 spouse work authorization are available on the USCIS website. The E-3 spouse does not have to be employed in a specialty occupation.

An E-3 dependent spouse or child is in status only while the E-3 is in status. If the primary E-3 falls out status, their E-3 dependents also lose status.

E-3 dependent’s extensions are filed at the same time as the E-3.  At the time of the principal E-3’s extension, information about each E-3 family member should be included on the Form I-539.