Skip to main content

Students in F-1 or J-1 status are permitted to work on-campus at UNC-Chapel Hill up to 20 hours per week during the academic year (while classes are in session).  Students may work full-time (21 hours or more per week) during official University breaks or during the summer if they intend to enroll for the subsequent semester.

Students who accept employment are responsible for making sure that the employment is considered “on-campus.”

  • Jobs that qualify as On-Campus Employment:  Most positions in which students receive a UNC-CH paycheck.
  • Jobs that do NOT qualify as On-Campus Employment:  Positions at UNC Hospitals, the Carolina Inn, and most businesses located on Franklin Street.  Employment with these businesses and institutions is considered “off-campus employment” and requires off-campus work authorization.
  • J-1 students must receive written permission from the sponsor in order to work on-campus.

Procedure for on-campus employment

  • Bring a letter from the on-campus employer to ISSS before starting work. The letter should include a start date, position title, job description, employing department and should be on letterhead signed by the department.
    • New students in F-1 status must complete ISSS Check-In and present confirmation to the hiring department that they are Active in SEVIS before beginning employment.
  • Apply for a social security number (SSN) through the Social Security Administration in Durham if needed.
  • J-1 students must complete the J-1 on-campus employment request form to get written authorization to work on-campus prior to beginning work.
    • New students in J-1 status cannot begin work until the program start date on Form DS-2019 and until they receive written permission from ISSS.

Students are not permitted to work off-campus without prior authorization. For more information on how to obtain off-campus work authorization, please see the different off-campus employment options.