Step 7: Arrival Planning
The Raleigh-Durham International (RDU) Airport, located approximately 20 miles from UNC-Chapel Hill.
Transportation from RDU Airport:
- Taxis and Shuttles: cost approximately $40.00 to Chapel Hill. Please see RDU’s Ground Transportation webpage for additional information.
- UNC Zimride: Find a ride to/from the airport or find other Tar Heels to help split parking costs: https://www.zimride.com/UNC.
- Triangle Transit (no Sunday service)
- Chapel Hill Transit (limited weekend service)
Hotels and Motels
An advanced reservation is wise! Single rooms estimated costs are between $70 and $215 per night plus tax. Buses run from these hotels and motels to campus Monday through Saturday, and some offer free shuttle services. Sunday bus services are limited. The Carolina Inn is located closest to UNC campus. The hotels and motels are grouped by cost. Some might have discounts for students, so ask about a discount at time of reservation.
- Courtyard Marriott
- Residence Inn (Marriot) Chapel Hill
- Sheraton Chapel Hill
- Hampton Inn Carrboro, NC
Climate and Clothing
The climate in Chapel Hill is temperate. Summers are likely to be hot and humid, 75 to 100 degrees F (24 to 38°C). Winter temperatures are generally between 25 and 50 degrees F (-3 to 10°C) and snow is infrequent, but temperatures may fall as low as 10 degrees F (-12C). Casual clothing is appropriate for class and general wear. However, you will probably wish to bring appropriate clothing for semi-formal occasions. Bring a warm coat or be prepared to purchase one. You may also wish to bring national costumes and fashions to be worn, and artifacts and crafts to be displayed for international gatherings and festivals on campus.