Skip to main content

H-1B Status

The H-1B temporary worker immigration status is designed for individuals coming temporarily to the United States to work full-time in a specialty occupation, which is one that requires “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement.” The H-1B is designed for professionals and professors.

The H-1B requires that the employer file the petition on behalf of a beneficiary (employee) if the beneficiary is deemed eligible.   There must be an employer-employee relationship. The H-1B can only be submitted after an official job offer has been made.

Employment authorization is granted through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), is job specific, employer, department and physical location(s) of employment specific. It is also specific to the other terms and conditions of employment including salary, duties to be performed, and responsibilities such as supervision of other employees. Any change in the terms and conditions may require filing a new H-1B prior to the change taking affect.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The Exchange Visitor Program, overseen by the Department of State, was implemented as the result of the Fulbright-Hayes Act (1961). The overall purpose of the Act is “to enable the Government of the United States to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange; to strengthen the ties which unite us with other nations by demonstrating the educational and cultural interests, developments, and achievements of the people of the United States and other nations, and the contributions being made toward a peaceful and more fruitful life for people throughout the world; to promote international cooperation for educational and cultural advancement; and thus to assist in the development of friendly, sympathetic, and peaceful relations between the United States and the other countries of the world.”

Federal regulations, reiterate that the Exchange Visitor Program is “… to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences, and to encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries.”


In order to get into the SAKAI website, you must have an onyen, a password and ISSS must invite you to have access to the site.

The following are instructions on how to proceed. Once you are in SAKAI, you will follow the instructions as posted.

  • Go to Sakai website
  • Login with onyen and password
  • Click on the “International Scholars” site at the top of the page.
  • Click the “HR Liaisons” tab on the left.