Skip to main content

An F-1 student who plans to attend another U.S. School (and who will either stop attending UNC-Chapel Hill or complete their UNC degree) must request that their SEVIS record be electronically “released,” or transferred, to that school, to continue to maintain status in the U.S. 

A student will be eligible for a SEVIS transfer out if the following are true: 

  • The student has been maintaining F-1 status. 
  • The student has been admitted to the transfer-in school. 
  • The course of study at the transfer-in school will begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at the transfer-out school OR within 5 months of the transfer release date, whichever is earlier. 
  • The SEVIS transfer is requested no later than the end of the student’s 60-day grace period. 

To begin the process, the student must notify the ISSS office at UNC-CH of the intent to transfer their SEVIS record to another U.S. institution. The student must submit a SEVIS Record Transfer Out Request in the ISSS Portal and upload a written confirmation of admission to another SEVIS approved school. The admission letter must include the term of admission, must be signed and dated and issued on the official University letterhead.  

Please note that ISSS does not complete other institutions’ transfer in forms.  In lieu of this please see provide the following statement to your new institution. If they have additional questions, please have them contact 

SEVIS Transfer Release Date

The student must request a specific SEVIS transfer release date, which is the date that will be set by ISSS to make the SEVIS record available to the other U.S. school. 

For enrolled students, the transfer release date will be the day after the last day of exams for the final semester. 

Students on a period of post-completion OPT should select a transfer release date that is after their last day of employment. 

After the release date, UNC-Chapel Hill will no longer have access to the student’s record in the SEVIS system. Students who travel outside of the U.S. will need to receive the new Form I-20 from the other institution to re-enter the U.S. 

Any on-campus or off-campus work authorizations obtained through UNC-CH (including OPT and CPT) will no longer be valid once the SEVIS record is transferred out. 

SEVIS Transfer Out for J-1 Students

J-1 students intending to have their SEVIS record transferred to a new U.S. institution to continue studies there must initiate the SEVIS transfer out process prior to the program end date on their current Form DS-2019ISSS will not transfer out a J-1 student SEVIS record without prior confirmation and agreement on the effective date of transfer being sent in writing from a Responsible Office or Alternate Responsible Officer in the international office at the student’s new institution.