SEVIS Transfer Out
An F-1 or J-1 student who intends to stop attending UNC-Chapel Hill and attend another U.S. school must request that their SEVIS record be electronically “released”, or transferred, to that school.
In order to process a SEVIS transfer, the student must notify the ISSS office of the intent to transfer to another U.S. institution.
A student will be eligible to transfer out if the following are true:
- The student has been maintaining F-1 or J-1 status.
- The student has been admitted to the transfer-in school.
- The course of study at the transfer-in school will begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at the transfer-out school OR within 5 months of the transfer release date, whichever is earlier.
In order to request a SEVIS transfer, the student must submit the following via email to their International Student Advisor:
- Written confirmation of admission to another SEVIS approved school
- Other school’s Transfer-in form (if required)
- Transfer-Out Form
SEVIS Transfer Release Date
The student must request a specific SEVIS release date, which is the date ISSS will transfer the SEVIS record to the new school.
- For enrolled students, the transfer release date will be the last day of the semester.
- Students on a period of post-completion OPT should select a transfer release date that is after their last day of employment.
- After the release date, UNC-Chapel Hill will no longer have access to the student’s record in the SEVIS system.
- Students who travel outside of the U.S. will need to receive the new Form I-20 from the other institution to re-enter the U.S.
- Students will not be able to work on the UNC campus once the SEVIS record is transferred out.
- Any periods of off-campus work authorization (such as OPT or CPT) will also end once the SEVIS record is transferred.