Skip to main content

Students who will not finish their program of study by the current end date on the Form I-20 or DS-2019 must request a program extension before their program end date. 

An extension may be granted by an ISSS advisor if the student has continually maintained status and the extension is required due to compelling academic or medical reasons. Extensions can only be granted up to one year at a time, depending on how much time is needed to complete the academic program. If a student needs more than one (1) year, they will have to submit a new Student Program Extension Request. 

To apply for a program extension, the student must complete the Student Program Extension Request in the ISSS Portal under “General Student Services.” This request is comprised of two forms:

  • Student Program Extension Request: Students must list their academic advisor or academic program director.  The academic advisor/program director will receive an email from ISSS with a link to a form they must complete. 

A complete request is not received by ISSS until both forms have been submitted by the student and the academic advisor/program director has also completed their form. Processing an extension can take up to three (3) weeks; therefore, students should apply for the extension early.  

If approved, the student will receive an email with the new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 attached. Students should keep all previously issued Forms I-20 or DS-2019. If working on campus, students should also present the new form to their HR facilitator as proof of continuing on-campus employment eligibility. 

Failure to apply for an extension prior to the completion date on the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 will result in the termination of a student’s F-1 or J-1 immigration status and suspension of all employment authorizations, whether on or off campus. To regain legal status, a student would need to apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for reinstatement (if eligible) and pay the associated fees OR travel outside the U.S. obtain a new visa and re-enter. 

NOTE: J-1 students who have applied for and/or received a waiver of the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement are not eligible for extension of J-1 immigration status.